EPISODE 3: BOLLYWOOD

As I previously said in the later episode, I am changing my subject to something I have never let myself do before. I want to get interested, academically on the subject that is not directly affecting me, and break boundaries in doing so. I guess it is part of my journey as an artist and an art director to search for something I have never look at before. 
Through reading articles and the beginning of my primary research, I have come up with this structure for my essay as the subject is 
Bollywood: a token of rape culture and its social impact on the modern indian woman
Introduction 
 - definition of Bollywood (accentuation on the importance in the Indian culture)  + definition of rape culture 
- Why it can be represented as a token of rape culture (when, who addressed the issue first ?)
- Hints of why it could influence the modern Indian woman (contextualisation) : what do we mean by impacting ? Fashion ? Socially ? economically? (answer: social interactions between men/women (= violence acts/rape towards women) + fashion wise (= no skirt or revealing clothes etc)
Background 
 - Treating the subject in depth with references: chronological presentation with examples of films and the way it’s portraying women > how it could influence their attitudes 
- People who have already talked about it / conter arguments to its influence on the modern Indian woman (ex: violence - do the 'item numbers' (= musical moments in indian films) let men to deny consent ?)
- Bring factual numbers (how many woman have claimed changing their attitudes because of what they saw on films?)
Objectives 
 - the importance of Bollywood in shaping social interactions between men and women - but more influence on women because of their places in the Indian society (the fact that they have to prove themselves, prove that their existence matter - existence that shouldn’t be tight up with men’s 
- factuals impacts on the daily lives of Indian woman
- A new form of Bollywood with untoxic relationship between men/women - a counterattack by artists that have impacted
1 big question with underlining questions which will guide us throughout the research proposal ? 
 - Why is Bollywood so important for Indian culture ? 
- Before becoming a token of rape culture, what was the purpose of Bollywood ?
etc
Research Methods 
 - focus group with Indian women who live in Indra via Skype etc + focus group with women from the diaspora in Britain. 
- active interview: put some films for women to see and record how they feel - disgust ? Adoration for those men ?
- Interview with films directors and how do they feel about Bollywood and do they want to address the issue ?
That were the first ideas I came up with 
Next episode: focusing on introduction with references